How to Write Persuasive Sales Copy
Best Articles on Sales Copywriting
Is your sales copy good enough?
Imagine slaving over your words. Wracking your brain for persuasive messages.
But when you publish your sales copy …
The register doesn’t ring. The silence is deafening. People are clicking away rather than take up your magnificent offer.
Want to learn how to be more persuasive? Want to win more business without sounding sleazy?
Whether you’d like to boost the persuasiveness of existing copy or just started to write your first sales page, the articles below help you write better copy. Learn how to connect with the right audience and sell more.
What is persuasive sales copy?
Good sales copy is:
- Engaging: it focuses on reader benefits;
- Credible: good copy is hype-free and demonstrates why your product makes readers’ lives better
- Clear: it is easy to read and easy to understand;
- Concise: sales copy doesn’t use more words than necessary;
- Persuasive: it encourages a reader to take action.
Writing irresistible sales copy is the most important marketing skill you can learn.
Best copywriting articles for beginners
The four articles below give you a quick overview of how to write good sales copy.
Learn to avoid the most common mistakes that make copy come across sleazy, understand how to connect with your target audience, get inspired by good copy examples, and learn which questions to answer before you start writing:
- 11 copywriting tips: How to Turn Marketing Drivel into Serious Sales Copy
- Features vs benefits: How to Use the “So What?” Question to Seduce Readers to Buy
- 21 copywriting examples: Get Inspired to Write Your Own Seductive Copy
- A pain-free process: 5 Simple Questions to Ask Before You Start to Write
- Copywriting checklist: 25 Copywriting Essentials Everyone in Business Must Know
Nervous about sounding too pushy? Try these 5 Lovable Sales Techniques.
Sales copy is the text you use to persuade your readers to take a specific action, such as download a white paper, join your e-newsletter, click a link in your email, follow you on Twitter, or click a “buy” button. Sales copy is used in emails, on web pages or in sales brochures.
Sales copy vs web copy: what’s the difference?
Web copy is sales copy specifically written for the web.
Usability guru Jacob Nielsen suggests web visitors are foraging for information like wild animals are foraging for food. But how do you persuade a wild animal to take a certain action? Learn more in this article: 9 Simple tips for writing persuasive web copy
Other useful articles on creating a persuasive website:
- Website paths: Do These 3 Website Goofs Make You Lose Business?
- New visitors: 15 Quick Tips to Engage and Delight First-Time Web Visitors
- Website checklist: A 61-Point Website Checklist to Avoid Pesky Content Failures
Learn how to write persuasive copy and win more business.
Start your free course now
Dive deeper into persuasive copywriting techniques
Want to polish your copywriting skills so you can make your copy more persuasive?
The 10 articles below explain specific copywriting techniques in detail:
- True benefits: How to Connect With Your Customer’s Deepest Desires
- Formulas: Why Most Copywriting Formulas Stink (and How to Really Write for the Web)
- Credibility: How to Write Trustworthy Sales Copy (and Turn Maybes into Resounding Yeses)
- Gobbledygook: How to Stamp Out Gobbledygook and Boost Your Persuasiveness
- Emotion: 3 Ways to Use the Persuasive Power of Emotions in Your Sales Copy
- Facts & emotions: How to Nudge Readers to Buy … by Mixing Facts and Emotion
- Storytelling: How to Craft a Business Story (and Energize Your Audience With Your Mission)
- Show & tell: The #1 Fiction Writing Tip for Persuasive Business Content
- Passion: How to Write With So Much Passion That Readers Beg to Hire You
- Curiosity gap: The Curiosity Gap: How to Entice People to Click Your Emails and Read Your Content
- Questions: Can You Triple Your Persuasive Powers With This Humble Writing Technique?
- 5 persuasive writing tips: How to write mesmerizing sales copy like Apple
Get advice on specific copywriting tasks
Wrestling with a specific piece of writing?
The articles below make various copywriting tasks more doable:
- Home pages: How to Throw a Party on Your Home Page (and Get Visitors to Stick Around)
- About pages: How to Write a Sparkling ‘About’ Page
- Product descriptions: 9 Simple Ways to Write Product Descriptions That Sell
- Landing pages: A No-Fail Process For Writing Landing Page Copy That Converts
- Client testimonials: How to Write Powerful Testimonials: 4 Simple Tips to Snatch More Clients
- Business emails: 4 Simple Tips for Persuasive Emails: How to Turn Blah Into Crisp Writing
- Sales emails: How to Write a Seductive Sales Email (Without Feeling Icky)
- Email sequences: How to Write an Email Sequence that Keeps Readers Hooked
Books and Courses on Copywriting
How to Write Seductive Web Copy (Kindle)
Learn to apply a simple 6-step process for writing web copy that sells. Plan, write, edit, and optimize your web copy. Exclusively available from Amazon. Learn more
A Pain Free Process for Writing Your ‘About’ Page (ebook)
Follow a simple process to write an About page that boosts your credibility and oozes personality. Includes a free bonus ebook on selecting captivating images. Learn more
Enchanting Copywriting (Ecourse and Coaching Program)
Practice the fundamentals of persuasive copywriting, and learn how to tackle your business writing projects with gusto. An 8-week intensive program with personal feedback. Learn More
- Discover the Power of the Subtle Nod and other persuasive tricks
- Learn how to cure sentence bloat and avoid irritating your readers
- Get concise tips by email, learn how to write persuasive copy and win more business